ACB – NONDISCRIMINATION ON THE BASIS OF HANDICAP/DISABILITY
It will be the policy of the District to adhere to the concept of nondiscrimination on the basis of handicapping conditions. The Board will support section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. In doing so the Board will:
1. Not discriminate against a qualified handicapped person in any aspect of school division employment solely on the basis of handicap.
2. Make facilities, programs and activities accessible, usable, and open to qualified handicapped persons.
3. Provide free appropriate education at elementary and secondary levels, including nonacademic and extracurricular services and activities, to qualified handicapped persons.
4. Not exclude any qualified handicapped person solely on the basis of handicap from participation in any preschool education or day care program or activity or any adult education or vocational program or activity.
5. Provide each qualified handicapped person with the same health, welfare, and social services as are provided other persons.
The Board holds the general view that:
1. Discrimination against qualified handicapped persons solely on the basis of handicap is unfair.
2. To the extent reasonably possible, qualified handicapped persons should be in the mainstream of life in a school community.
Accordingly, employees of the District will comply with the above requirements of the law and any regulations approved by the Board or its administration for ensuring a policy of nondiscrimination on the sole basis of handicap. The Board designates the superintendent or superintendent’s designee to act as the District’s compliance officer for employees and students.
No person in the District will, on the basis of handicap, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any educational program or activities.