The Board is responsible to the people for whose benefit the school district has been established, and committed to the education of all students as appropriate to the best of their individual abilities. It is charged with accomplishing this while also being responsible for wise management of resources available to the district. By virtue of its responsibility and commitment the Board must establish those purposes, programs, and procedures that will respond to the district’s immediate problems and long-range needs.
The Board must fulfill these responsibilities by functioning primarily as a legislative body to formulate and adopt policy, by selecting an executive officer to implement policy and by evaluating the results. Further, it must carry out its functions openly, while seeking the involvement and contributions of public, students and staff in its decision-making processes.
Additionally, the Board commits itself to the following objectives:
1. To interpret the educational needs and aspirations of the community, and to meet them through the formulation of policies that stimulate the learner and the learning process;
2. To continually evaluate the district’s educational goals and their implementation in the district schools;
3. To formulate a sound fiscal policy in the interests of fiscal economy;
4. To provide the superintendent with sufficient and adequate guidelines to effectively carry out the goals and objectives of the school district;
5. To maintain effective communication with the public served by the schools, and with staff and students in order to maintain awareness of attitudes, opinions, desires and ideas.