The Board, in the interest of affording the children attending its schools the highest level of educational experience obtainable, believes that student extra-curricular activities are an essential part of deliberate education in the United States. Such activities form a logical adjunct to the required or general curriculum and the elective or special curriculum.
GUIDELINES FOR EXTRA-CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES PROGRAM
The following guidelines will govern the student activities programs:
1. Student extra-curricular activities are those school activities that are voluntarily engaged in by students, have the approval of the school administration and are sponsored by the faculty, and do not carry credit toward promotion or graduation.
2. Each school, under the direction of the principal and professional staff, will have a well-balanced and effectively administered student activity program designed to stimulate student growth and development by supplementing and enriching the curricular activities.
3. Each activity should be designed to contribute directly to the educational, civic, social, ethical, and leadership development of students involved.
4. The student activity program should receive the same attention in terms of evaluation that is given the regular school curriculum.
5. Each program shall have definite written guidelines and procedures regulating the organization and administration of student activity programs.
6. Activities must be open to all students, regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, or disability.
7. No extra-curricular activity shall place undue burdens upon students, teachers, or the District.
8. Activities should be held on non-school class time or at an appropriate designated school class time.
In addition to the above guidelines district high schools will abide by the rules and bylaws of the South Dakota High School Activities Association (SDHSAA). Membership in the SDHSAA will subject to annual approval of the Board.