The Board will officially adopt textbooks and textbook programs for use in the district schools upon the recommendation of the Superintendent.
Responsibility for the review and selection of textbooks to be recommended will rest with textbook and/or curriculum committees as appointed by the Superintendent or the Superintendent’s designee. Membership on such committees shall include representation by teachers who will use the texts, administrators, and other staff members as found desirable. Students and parents may be asked to serve.
Principles that apply generally to the selection of instructional materials and library materials will apply to the selection of textbooks and books. The State Board of Education will have the power to review any books or other instructional material selected for use in the district schools. Additionally, basic textbooks and textbook programs will be chosen:
1. To advance the educational objectives of the school system and particular objectives of the course or program;
2. To contribute toward continuity, integration, and articulation of the curriculum;
3. To establish a general framework for the particular course or program.
Because the instructional purposes of textbooks, as stated above, are of such importance, particular care will be taken in their selection as to content.
Although many points must be examined, the Board directs the staff to be particularly mindful of the following considerations:
1. The needs of all learners, including slow learners and the exceptionally able, must be provided for.
2. Insofar as possible, multiethnic materials which depict a pluralistic society should be selected.
3. Attention should be given to sex roles depicted in the materials.
4. The textbook or textbook program should lead the student and teacher beyond the textbook into a wide variety of other materials and educational experiences.
5. If the textbook deals with problems and issues of our times, it should present and encourage examination of all points of view.
6. Because textbooks are selected for several years’ use, special attention shall also be given their physical characteristics, durability, format, and price.