1. The United States Senate Youth Program (USSYP) is being planned March 5-12, 2022 in Washington, D.C. The program may be held online pending public health guidance, to be determined in the fall of 2021. Two students from each state will be selected to attend the program and each will receive a $10,000 undergraduate college scholarship. Students may qualify to apply through leadership positions they currently hold per the USSYP official criteria for the current 2021-2022 academic year. All student leadership qualifying positions are subject to the judgement of the state selection administrator and will be verified and confirmed.
2. Please refer to the attached United States Senate Youth Program Brochure for complete details. This brochure provides valuable information regarding the USSYP program rules and regulations.
3. Each high school principal may choose two students to submit the USSYP application on the form supplied by the Department of Education (DOE). Each application must have the school’s principal’s signature. The application and all required attachments must be emailed no later than October 1, 2021 to the following email address: email@example.com.
Mailed in applications will not be accepted.
4. Required: Students must email with their application two (2) letters of recommendation. One letter should be an academic letter from a teacher, counselor or principal. The other letter should be from a mentor, employer or adult advisor.
5. Required: Each student must email with their application a copy of their High School Transcript.
6. If available attach a copy of your ACT Score.
7. Department of Education will select two delegates to represent South Dakota in the program. Selections will be based on the information the student provides with their application. Each State agency must submit the names of their two delegates to the USSYP on or before December 1, 2021. A representative of the William Randolph Hearst Foundation will confirm each student’s appointment as a delegate with their respective high school principal. The William Randolph Hearst Foundation will notify delegates of their appointment.
8. The Department of Education website with additional information regarding the USSYP and application can be found at https://doe.sd.gov/scholarship...
9. The USSYP website can be found at https://ussenateyouth.org/
10. There will be no USSYP Public Affairs & History exam this year.
For questions contact: Mark Gageby: firstname.lastname@example.org or 605-773-3727